Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Album Review: Outkast Southernplayerlisticadillacmuzik

I finally decided do an album review. Although I hinted in an earlier blog that I would blog about an artist from California. Spoiler alert, I was going review Ice Cube's Amerikkas Most Wanted, but I will save that classic for later. I decided to make the change while I was on my way to the VA today. As I jumped in the car, and looked at my ipod something told me to scroll to Outkast's first work,Southernplayerlisticadillacmuzik, which I though was Southernplayerlisticfunkycadillacmuzik, but thats another subject for another time. To understand how I review this album, you need only ask yourself these simple questions: when, why, and how.
The first important question is when? Outkast first album was released April 26,1994. The importance of the year the album was released is that up until that year the rap scene had been dominated by  east coast rappers, and respectable albums had that come from the west coast. Southern rap was considered to be laughable at best by artists from the dominating regions. This doesn't mean that there hadn't been quality rap from the south. There were artist such as the Gheto Boys, UGK, Eighball & MJG, and other regional artists like 2 Live Crew that had minor success. Being from the south I could list others, but it will be a sizeable list. Anyway Outkast  first single hit the scene in 1993 with Players Ball, which was originally released on Laface's Christmas album. Ok, before I continue I have to mention that Laface was a record label that was created by record industry vets L.A Reid and Babyface (that's right, the Babyface!) Back to the script, when Player's Ball came out I immediately went out and bought the maxi single. If your from this era you know that a maxi single came with every mix of a particular song possible! I can remember it like it was yesterday, my brother was stationed at a naval base near Jacksonville,FL, and I went to spend the weekend with him shortly after getting the single. I would be remissed if i didn't mention that we played the breaks off that single, so much so that after my weekend trip was over I had to purchase another copy(real shit!). It was amazing feeling, because prior to Outkast, you couldn't tell me I wasn't from Brooklyn. My collection was all Wu-Tang, Nas, Tribe, De La, and the like. It was a great feeling to have a group from my neck of the woods that acted like me, dressed like me, and talked like me. Quick footnote, when I saw the video I was beside myself to say the least! Then 1994 hit and they released Southernplayerlisticadillacmuzik, oh boy!
Now let's get to the nitty gritty, why I think this album is classic. The album begins with an intro from "Peaches", and from the onset she sets the mood for the cd. Once you hear the intro you know that you are about to listen to some pimp ish. Not just pimp in the sense of the content, but beats that lather the ear with a with silky smooth rhythms, and bass  guaranteed to rattle your trunk! To second that emotion, Outkast hits you with Myintrotoletuknow, which Big Boi and Andre 3000 give you  a teaser of how they feel, and what they are about. If you questioned their rep, they hit you up with Ain't No Thang, where they join together and let you know that "Ain't no thang but a chicken wang!" Within two songs you know that they are 'playa made', and don't think that we are southern we're soft. Honestly the album posses the rare quality that is often lacking in alot of rap albums, you can literally start at the intro, and just walk away. At the same time there are gems on the album that you must pay special attention to. One particular example is "Playa's Ball". For the squares a players ball is a function that gathers all the hustlers and players for what I would call an 'award show' of sorts, but I think that they are actually speaking how a group of like-minded individuals gather to enjoy the fruits of their labor. Another example would be "Funky Ride". I can only describe  this song as something to put on as you cruise through Anytown, USA  at night with the moon in the sky, and the windows down!  The bass contained in this song is something that is a staple of southern music, and this song is full of it. I would say the bass is like gravy in the since that it makes a great dish that much better.If I didn't mention earlier this album is coughee friendly(reference 420), because even if you don't they make you feel as if you have. There is another signifigance to this album, because this is the first time you hear of a little group named Goodie Mob, which you first hear on "Get Up, Get Out". If you pay close attention one of the founding members of Goodie Mob,  and Gnarls Barkly does a funny skit at the beginning of the song,  where get the feeling there is a difference between Buckhead(a swank part of town that is exclusive), and Bankhead( an area in Atlanta  that you should probaly know someone before you go, and not go at night). I will save that for another review. "Get Up, Get Out" stands out, because it gives the listener the montra get up, get out and go do something with your life. Another first appearance is the skit that follows, performed by Big Rube. I have it memorized, because Big Rube defines Outkast(notice the 'K') encouraging you to look deeper than the definition, and look at you self, and whether you as the listener fits in the mold of an outkast. Interestingly enough he encourages you to be different, and question the status quo. There are many songs that I didn't mention, but that doesn't mean that they aren't worth your time, trust me! I consider this to be a classic rap album, and i'm sure you will once you check it out, so 'Get Up, Get Out', and go get it if you don't have it already! Right on to the real, and death to the Fakers, Peace Out!

No comments:

Post a Comment