Saturday, January 4, 2014

Social Rant

                                            Social Rant
          It has been awhile since I wrote on my blog. I’ve had ideas of what I wanted to write about, and there have been many topics that I wanted to cover. Some of the topics that I have kicked around will be future entries, but for now I feel like this topic that is on my mind is the responsible thing to write about. I can only hope that this entry can serve to provoke thought and action. To end the mystery I’ve been thinking about a responsible way to move the movement that we refer to as hip hop in another direction.
          When you take a look at the current climate of the financial world there has become this divide between middle class and the upper echelon. There is also this purposeful exclusion of those who have yet to obtain of this “American Pie”. I could go on and on about how the rich have rigged the system in their favor, or how our government has been bought. This alone is enough for me to stop capitalizing america in my writing. After watching a documentary called “Park Avenue” on Netflix along with my own struggle as an out of work veteran with a college degree  and no felonies I began to ponder……… What the hell is going on? Being that I alone wasn’t enough to spark this change, but I thought that there is a platform that is embraced by millions across the world that speaks to the souls of the masses. And that platform is hip-hop/rap.
          Now I will be the first to admit that rap has arrived at a place where even the diehard fan like myself has lost quite a bit of faith. It seems that selling drugs, embracing drug use, or the outright disregard for anything responsible has become the topics of the day. And to some degree I believe that there is a place for some ignorance, but shit now!!!!! This is especially unsettling when you find out that record labels are nothing more than puppet masters. More upsetting than the fact that rappers seem to endorse this bullshit behavior is that rappers happily sell their soul to the devil for a piece of change, or just simply a chain. They even have the audacity to say this bullshit about them doing it for the hood. I digress, because my purpose isn’t to hold artists responsible for the dumb shit that they infect our airwaves with, but to daydream about what would happen if they helped their communities participate in the voting process, education, and self pride.
          It is paramount for the disenfranchised to take part in the process that affects their lives. Many of the social ills that plague my hood, your hood, and the entire nation could be averted if those who are being screwed by this system actually did something about it. The one thing that we see every presidential cycle that has politician shaking in their boots is “did they vote?” or did they do everything they could to keep us from voting? Instead us responsible, decently informed hood representatives have to hear topics such as: throwing money away, selling something that has ruined at least one person in every family (molly,crack,coke,etc..), or other dumb shit that doesn’t help their families and neighborhoods.

          All I’m saying is in this country we participate in a lot of bullshit, but expect to be taken serious. Why not use the system the correct way, and fix our society. invest time in educating yourself, and stop letting what others that don’t look like you, or live like you dictate what you see as fact. Take a little time to learn more about civics. Most important make those who work for our money fucking earn it (rappers and politicians).

1 comment:

  1. What if it's more broad than that? The world has long used a lack of education as a means of keeping people in slavery. In the modern age, it seems that we've managed to keep the tradition alive, if only in a slightly modified way.

    //Evil plan//:
    1. Divide the broader population into "demographics"
    2. Create mindless music and other media that will appeal to each subset
    3. Fill it with mindless crap that occupies their time, takes their money, and leaves their brain utterly devoid of anything useful.
    4. Broadcast it.
    5. ??
    6. Profit! (and control)

    The beauty of it all is that you can coat-tail all of the creative stuff on the backs of ACTUAL artists that the people at large may have once been familiar with. Maybe even use them once in a while to maintain some legitimacy.

    I'm pretty sure this is why it's hard for people who actually like music to work in radio. Maybe I'm just jaded. I mean, I'm not real big into conspiracies, but... just sayin'

    ReplyDelete