Friday, January 31, 2014

What is a Classic

    I often hear people offer up their opinion on what they consider a “classic” rap album. I guess until recently I never considered what it actually takes to make up a “classic” album. I know my perception of what is classic material is different than what someone else considers to be classic. Before I continue I would like to first give examples of what I consider to be “classic”: Straight out of Compton, Amerikka’s Most Wanted, Death Certificate, Doggystyle, The Chronic, Resurrection, The Diary, The Untouchable, Every Outkast Album, Soul Food, Ready to Die, Reasonable Doubt, and so on and so forth. There are far more than I listed, but I just wanted to scratch the surface. Some will look at this list and say what about….. But understand that this is just a snapshot of what I consider to be classic material, and what is considered the standard. Each album meets different criteria that put them in this category. And this is what I want to focus on. What makes an album a hip/hop classic? Now before some readers begin steaming about what albums I didn’t list, calm down. I’m going to narrow down the elements that give an album that “stank” if you will that It takes to rise above the rest.
    The first element that is essential to classic status is the beats. Much like a great New Orleans gumbo, you can add all the shrimp, and boudin you want, but without that love and the right seasoning you just have a pot full of ingredients and no soul. To me that’s what the beats are, the soul. This ingredient is tricky, because the beat preference vary from region to region and state to state. On occasion there is an album that transcends all bounds. Exhibit A: Doggystyle. Now this album is heavy with sho nuff west coast flavor, but for the time it was released the beats could be heard banging all over the country. Why you may ask, because the beats on the album were funky and contained a little stank! No matter where you grew up, you had to bob your head when it came on. Beats aren’t the only reason, but you have to admit without them you probably wouldn’t be jamming Doggy Dogg World some 20yrs later. Exhibit B: Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik. Initially the album wasn’t accepted outside of the south. Outkast was even booed in ‘95 at the Source awards in New York while accepting the award for best new rap group. Funny how this album is largely considered a standard. In the south we always knew the truth, but it took the rest of the country a little time to warm up to it. The lyrical content was on point, but the beats made love to your soul. Once you have the soul, the body will follow!
    The next ingredient that can boost your album in to the next stratosphere are the lyrics. Exhibit C: Illmatic. Most hip/heads and even other rappers consider this album the mold by which all others are judged. Lyricism is the most basic building block by which rap was built, and there other greats out there who deserve some credit. But popular opinion rules out on this one. The beat pattern follows the New York boom bap style, which is an acquired taste for many outside the region. The lyrics are what make this album universally respected. Think I’m lying, just get the album and go to #3 Life’s a Bitch ft. AZ! Seriously go get the album if you don’t already have it and listen I can’t do this one for you. Exhibit D: Reasonable Doubt. I admit that initially I wasn’t the biggest Jay-Z fan, but once I went back, whew! The lyrics on this album have an adult feel to them. J’s lyrics have a subtle arrogance that isn’t too much, but just right. The song Friend or Foe epitomize his cool confidence. I would argue that his rhyme scheme and word choice are impeccable.
    The last piece to the puzzle has a dual purpose. The social commentary/ability to capture the moment. I present Exhibit E: Amerikka’s Most Wanted. Ice Cube’s best work in my opinion. He began with a strong voice against the machine. I remember the first time I heard the album in ’91 I didn’t whether I wanted to be a black panther or a gang member (if you do your history one evolved from the other). There was a focused anger that needed to be heard. Fueled by frustration with sell out radio stations, and street issues that were and still are plaguing the music. He simply let loose. It’s worth noting that his social anger was amplified by the fact that he went to New York and enlisted Chuck D and his infamous production team. Exhibit F: Resurrection. I must warn the reader that this album is straight anger no chaser! But to the right set of ears there is social commentary that is rivaled by few rap albums. Scarface, Willie D, Bushwick Bill hit you in the face with stories and commentary that are undeniable. Take that and add the phone conversations with Larry Hoover (infamous founder of the Gangster Disciples). I would go so far as to say that you don’t ever have to go to the ghetto and listen to this album and have a complete understanding of the anger that resides in many of the impoverished neighborhoods around the country. Willie D comes off as one the scariest rappers you will ever hear. If you think I don’t know what I’m talking about I dare you to listen to First Light of the Day! If you aren’t from the hood, you might have nightmares!

    The albums I listed are only are few examples of what I consider to be classic. Also know that are many others. Some are personal preference and some are universally recognized. I just want the reader to understand that your classic isn’t necessarily mine. I also want to share with you what elements I find necessary to compose a classic. If you don’t agree, cool. Ponder this, how long has it been since a classic album has been released? Think about it!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment